Monday, February 13, 2012

Nursery School Dropout

We've been having such a hard time getting Recker acclimated to his Nursery class at church. Today i new it was going to be rough, because the second we came around that corner and he saw the door he started crying. He wasn't tired, because he had just had a 3 hour nap, he wasn't hungry because he had just eaten. He just has such severe separation anxiety in sometimes and it worries me for starting school in the fall. Well we walked in, usually i stay in with him as long as i can, but this time i decided to just bring him in and drop him off with his Nursery leaders (who are super sweet and understanding). He was sobbing and clinging to me, but i snuck out when he wasn't looking (maybe my first problem, but either way he would have reacted the same). I sat down in Relief Society and before we even started they had taken him out of Nursery and brought him to me. They said he was throwing up over and over again. I wasn't surprised. He does that at home when we put him to bed before he WANTS to. He cries so hard and throws up repeatedly. I completely understand why they can't let him stay in there, they are not paid to be nursery leaders, they have no experience working with special needs and its just not their responsibility to be cleaning up vomit. We are just lost at what to do at this point. We are hoping that we can get a BCBA since we have now been qualified for ALTCS/AHCCCS  and maybe they can help.




4 comments:

  1. I know you don't know me, but I know your husband..

    anyway.. I am so sorry. One thing that may help though is having someone called to be his nursery aid. I know you may not want any special attention, but it can be the biggest blessing. He then has a constant on Sundays and you are able to enjoy your lessons. It may depend on the Bishop, but our ward does it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you know Jeremy?! You know they offer that in my ward to have someone be his aide, but i just don't feel comfortable with that. I do not want someone to dread coming to church because their calling is to babysit my son who would most definitely make her sundays miserable! I just don't feel good about it! But i know a couple people in our ward who it works great for! Maybe when recker is older?? who knows!

      Delete
  2. I just stumbled upon your blog through Lindsey Smart's! I was going to just creep in silence but I had to comment after reading this post! I am currently on the academic path to become a BCBA and work with adults with developmental disabilities. I just wanted to say how happy I am that you are aware of Behavior Analysis. I have so many friends that have children with autism who take them to therapy after therapy and see absolutely no results which I am sure leads to even more frustration. ABA does take time to see results but it WORKS! And your child is so so young. I am so happy for you that you were able to catch this while he is still small. I don't have children yet but I realize the chances of me having a child with ASD are high. I'm glad there is a strong community for victims of this disorder and especially their parents. You guys are going straight to heaven!! haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice words! Yes BCBA is amazing, i've seen it first hand at work. We haven't had the opportunity to get Recker in with a therapist that does ABA yet but we're praying we can soon! We are so lucky that i recognized it so young, but i know its because of my experience working in a self contained special ed classroom for years. I wish so many parents would open up their eyes and just accept the fact that their child is on the spectrum! If they would, children would not be getting diagnosed at such an older age! Anyways good luck on your schooling! Thank you for what you are doing, i wish there were more out there!! Have you heard of SARRC? They do a TOOOON of things with Adults with developmental disabilities, they are seriously such an amazing organization, you should definitely check them out!!

      Delete